Gerry Bernie, Joe, Marcelle, Normand

Ok! When Do I Sign Up?

The best sign up time is three months before your 65th birthday but you can wait up until three months after your birthday if necessary.

The best deal is to get in on time and It has been suggested to me and others that three months earlier than your birthday works best.

Here's where

To get Medicare but not Social Security you can call the number of the Social Security Administration at 800-772-1213.

You also can go to for the website application.

The good thing is that Part A of your Medicare is usually a free benefit, that covers hospital care and in-patient care. Those people who did not pay FICA (Federal Insurance Contributions Act) or Medicare with their taxes, and do not have a spouse who did will have to pay a monthly premium. They are a small percentage of the population.

And what about Part B?

You will also need Part B insurance that will cover the doctor's visits and outpatient care, etc. If you are already collecting social security before age 65 then you part B is already being deducted from your social-security payment each month. Otherwise you will have to pay.

For the year 2015 the rate for Part B was $104.90 per month up until you as a single person earned $85,000 a year or if married $170,000 a year. After those earning limits the rate went up. The increase is called the high income surcharge.

People are retiring at different ages starting at 62 up until 70 for social -security payments. The full retirement age has changed and now it starts at 66 for those who are of a certain age and increases in stages for others who are younger.

For those who are still employed after age 65 they will have an 8 month period to enroll in Part B after they lose their employers coverage. 

In that case if you missed out on your enrollment window you will have to wait until open enrollment which is from January 1, to March 31, of each year.