Gerry Bernie, Joe, Marcelle, Normand

How Do I Apply For Part B

If you already have Part A then you can apply to Medicare for a Part B plan.
If you don't have Part A then contact social security, or see  the web page Ok! When do I sign up for the information about how to apply.

Although most of you are not paying for Medicare Part A, you will have a premium charged to you for every month that you have a Part B insurance.

 If you sign up after your Initial enrollment period then you will be charged a 10% penalty for every 12 month period that you don't have
Part B but were able to sign up for it.

Here is an Application for Part B from Medicare.
To apply you will need, your social security claim number, current address and telephone number and if you are signing up in a SEP you'll need Form CMS-L564 which is a request for Employment Information and that has to be filled out by your employer.

You can get help by calling Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 and TTY users can use 1800-325-0778

Part B Covers

Medically necessary services that would be used to diagnose and treat a condition and that pass accepted standards of medical practice, and preventative services against problems like Influenza etc.

These are some of the things that Part B covers; clinical research, ambulance services, durable medical equipment, inpatient and outpatient mental health services, as well as partial hospitalization.

The Part B also covers a second opinion before surgery and limited out patient prescription drugs.

What Is Assignment?

If your medical provider such as a doctor etc., accepts "Assignment" then you will often pay nothing for a balance.

Assignment is an agreement by your doctor, provider or supplier to be paid directly by Medicare, to accept the payment amount that Medicare approves for the service and not to bill you for any more than the Medicare deductible and coinsurance.       

What does it cost?

Medicare charges a premium cost of $104.90 a month, and the cost of a deductible that is $147.00 a year.

If you earn more than $85,000 a year as a single person then it goes up. Here are the rates for 2015.

 Take you tax return from two years earlier and figure what you will pay this year.

Individual tax return Joint tax return Married and separate tax return You pay in 2015
$85,000 or less $170,000 or less $85,000 or less $104.90
$85,000 to $107,000 $107,000 to $214,000 NA $146.90
$107,000 to $160,000 $214,000 to $320,000 NA $209.80
$160,000 to $214,000 $320,000 to $428,000 $85,000 to $129,000 $272.70
Over $214,000 Over $428,000 Over $129,000 $335.70

If You Are In Doubt Then Ask

If you don't know if something would be covered then simply ask. It is easier than you think. You doctor's office should know if a procedure or service is covered and so will your Part B provider.

Three Things Control Medicare Coverage

Here they are! Federal and state laws, national decisions made by Medicare and variations between local companies and Medicare in the different states.